SMARDT Oil Free Chillers for Pharmaceuticals
SMARDT Oil Free Chillers from the founder of Turbocor Compressor Technology is a global leading sustainable cooling solution for hospitals, pharmaceuticals, and the hospitality industry. SMARDT manufactures leading-edge HVAC technologies that drive down CO2 emissions. This award-winning #1 global leader in oil-free chiller manufacturing is also the pioneer of Oil Free/Magnetic Bearing Chiller Technologies. With more than 100,000+ installations worldwide, SMARDT currently has six global manufacturing plants serving the world.
HVAC Systems in Hospitals & Pharmaceuticals Industry
According to CBECS, Hospitals consume approximately 5% of the total energy use which equates to 458 trillion Btus in the USA. Hospitals spend approximately $5 billion on energy per year or 1-3% and most of the energy consumed by healthcare systems arises from the HVAC systems. Chiller plants are the single largest consumer of energy in most healthcare facilities.
This energy use can be exacerbated if the system does not operate at its maximum efficiency. Many healthcare facilities run for 24-hour operations, and therefore chiller plants in pharmaceutical industry operate every day all year round. Therefore, making the chiller plant more efficient is one of the greatest means of reduction of energy use for large healthcare systems.
HVAC hourly load calculation for Pharmaceuticals
Chillers generally achieve maximum efficiency when they operate between 65% and 85% of their full load capacity. Chillers operating below 50% of their rated load are usually associated with very large energy consumption and poor energy performance.
By reviewing the normal operating loads and parameters, health care facilities can create an economic dispatch algorithm that can optimize the starting and stopping of chiller plant equipment. The goal of creating the algorithm is to consistently run each chiller machine within its ideal performance range, thus optimizing the overall system efficiency for a given chiller system demand.
Now, we would like to briefly introduce you to what is happening worldwide in regard to the standards of measuring chillers’ Energy Efficiency. Both within the United States and Australia, and throughout Europe, the HVAC industry has come to a consensus that HVAC equipment typically does not run at full capacity for any significant amount of time, and as such there is a serious deficiency in comparing chillers on the basis of full load efficiency alone.
In recognition of the actual operating characteristics of air conditioning chillers, the American Refrigeration Institute created IPLV, or Integrated Part Load Values, which provides a weighted average reflecting chiller’s efficiency across a broad range of loads.
Seasonal HVAC Load Fluctuation
The seasonal differences of neutral or acceptable temperatures between summer and winter were revealed in the following graph. As for the pre-summer season, the HVAC load can be determined from the load mentioned for March, April, May, and June. According to this graph, the load fluctuation from winter to pre-summer varies from 45% to 100%.
For Bangladesh, the highest environment load for a system occurs from May to August with a rate of 100%. From September the environment load decreases to 20 in December.
Air temperature is found to be one of the most significant drivers for behavioral responses, as Occupants actively control indoor air movement.
SMARDT Oil Free Chiller HVAC System for Hospitals & Pharmaceutical Industry
HVAC improves the pharmaceutical industry with potential safety, product quality, and GMP compliance. The HVAC system within a pharma production house or even a hospital is responsible for the air quality, ventilation units, and exhaust units within a pharmaceutical production house.
Before discussing all the product benefits, let’s just watch a quick video on SQUARE Hospital, Dhaka as a reference for SMARDT Oil Free Chillers for Hospitals. The revolutionary SMARDT chiller compressor with magnetic bearing technology brought out an amazing electricity saving scheme for both of these projects.
SMARDT Oil-Free Chillers Efficiency
Chiller technologies have improved tremendously over the past 20 years, resulting in newer chillers operating at higher efficiency than older model chillers. For example, chillers from leading chiller manufacturers like Daikin, Trane, Carrier, and Johnsons Control have full load efficiencies of between 0.45 kW per ton and 0.5 kW per ton at AHRI conditions.
These magnetic bearing chillers also have integrated part load values (IPLVs) of between 0.29 kW per ton and 0.305 kW per ton. Newer magnetic bearing chillers from SMARDT have integrated part load values as low as 0.29 kW per ton, which can be very attractive for new chiller plants in a pharmaceutical production house.
In Bangladesh, SMARDT Oil free chillers was installed and observed in projects like SQUARE Hospitals and Hotel Radisson Blu, Dhaka. The result obtained from the chiller plant room was quite impressive that earned Tritech two separate reorder from the individual client.
Let’s take a look at the yearly bill comparison for SMARDT Magnetic Bearing Oil free chiller with Daikin, Dunham-Bush & Trane Centra-Vac VFD Screw Chiller.
SMARDT OIL FREE CHILLERS PRODUCT RANGE SUMMARY
SMARDT is well renowned for the smarter and more efficient way to keep industrial and commercial facilities cool and comfortable. With a wide range of most advanced technology, SMARDT is manufacturing oil-free chillers for more than 20 years now. To ensure a perfect fit for every application and buildings, SMARDT oil-free chillers are designed to fit tight space and performance requirements with their wide range of product list.
TW-Class Water Cooled SMARDT Chillers 45 to 1600 Tons (211-4,200 kW)
- Optimised Oil-Free Design
- Integrated Redundancy with up to 8 compressors
- Customisable configurations to meet space requirements.
- Economised Option
- Mechanically Cleanable HX
- Unimpeded Service & Maintenance Access
- World Leading Chiller Controls
TA-Class Air Cooled Chillers 40 to 500 Tons (140-2,1760 kW)
- Compact Design Footprint
- “V” Coil Configuration
for Added protection
and ease of installation.
- Better efficiency than variable speed screws
- 1 to 4 Compressors
- Enhanced, unimpeded service and maintenance access
- EC Fans Standard
- Highly protected against corrosion.
- Stainless steel base and electrical panels
- Eliminate high mechanical friction losses
- Increase equipment life through elimination
of wear surfaces
- Eliminate oil-related heat transfer losses
- Eliminate complex oil management systems (controls and hardware)
SMARDT Oil Free Chillers vs Conventional Chillers
- Conventional Chiller compressor reliance on oil
- Higher energy consumption
- Inability to accurately match
- Increased operating costs
over a chillers lifetime
- VSDs reduced power consumption, but increased oil-related issues, particularly at part load.
- Noise and Vibration are still an issue
- High Start Up currents remain a problem
- The size and Weight of Components pose service and installation difficulties.
SMARDT Oil Free Chillers
- Elimination of mechanical friction loss
- Higher efficiency even at full load
- No complex oil return issue
- No oil-related heat transfer issue
- Increase equipment life-span
- Provides the Lowest Chiller Sound Levels
- Low starting current Softstart (< 2 Amp inrush)
- Back up bearings are included to prevent damage to the shaft
- Ultra Fast Chiller Restarts After Power Failures
- No oil system to delay a chiller start up
- Chiller Vibration is essentially eliminated
Problems with typical Oil Lubricated Chillers
Conventional Chillers Require Oil Management
- Oil Management Adds Complexity
- Gears – Friction
- Oil Sump
- Emergency oil reservoir
- Oil cooler
- Oil filter
- Oil heater
- Oil Differential pressure switch
- Additional Complexity Leads to Failures
- Ongoing Operating Costs related to Oil
- Oil Sampling, Replacement, Top Ups, Disposal
- Filters/Dryers/Sensors needing replacement
For a Centrifugal Oil Lubricated Chiller:
- 2 pole motor – Need to couple the motor shaft to high speed gear to increase the impeller speed.
- Oil Sump is needed. Typically required 15 gallon of compressor oil and yearly oil change is recommended.
- Oil cooler is required to remove the heat pick up from the sleeve bearing.
- Oil filter to filter the oil before going to the bearing.
- Emergency oil reservoir to cater for power loss to the oil pump
- Oil heater is required to heat up the oil when chiller is not in operation to prevent oil foaming when compressor start up
- Oil Differential pressure switch is the safety device to protect the compressor.
Benefits of SMARDT Oil Free Magnetic Bearing Chillers
- Over 70% of chiller field/service costs are caused by oil-return issues.
(Sources: Emerson Electric, AHRI)
- Conventional chillers degrade by more than 20% for every 10 years of operation
(Source: Tsinghua Research Project 2015)
- Smardt Chillers have no oil, and no wearing surfaces.
- Oil-Related Maintenance is Eliminated
- Magnetic Bearings ensure Mechanical Maintenance is reduced
- Smardt’s customers have reported reductions in Maintenance costs of around 50%.
In people’s efforts today to reduce energy usage, often the best solutions are overlooked due to high capital costs. This could be described as the iceberg syndrome, where the upfront costs are assessed without any regard to the lifelong operating costs associated with their choice. The price of energy is steadily increasing due to worldwide shortages, and the unseen costs of breakdowns, repairs and major maintenance programs combine to typically outweigh the initial purchase.
The best solution to the high maintenance and life cycle cost is to consider life cycle costs for the equipment when making purchasing decisions. This slide demonstrates the comparison between using this revolutionary technology compared with using conventional chiller technology over a period of only 2 years.
Although the more energy-efficient chiller cost more initially, the substantial savings in not only operating costs, but power and noise controls resulted in considerable savings for the owner, both within the 2 years, and then obviously for the life time of the equipment.